~pictures for the header and about masak geng are compliments of yuin yi- awesome chef and great photographer~

Friday, September 24, 2010

Simply Addictive

Since semester started, I have been so super uber busy, I can't even find much time to post something proper here. *sigh*

And because everybody is really busy as well, (I assume - from all the late night facebook updates and complaints on homeworks and lab reports XD) let me at least share something that I personally LOVE, something so simple and easy to make, something REALLY addictive (beware).



I don't know the original name for it, (does it even have a name?) but let us just call it The Majestic Wonderfully Addictive Spring Roll Snacks! :D Everybody loves something deep fried. Everybody loves something sweet. And most of all everybody goes for anything addictive (despite how unhealthy it is). :D

I think I first learnt about this snack from my mum (or somewhere in the family) when we made it once upon a time for Chinese New Year. When I first made and served it during Chinese New Year that year, I was surprised by how quickly it finished. Everybody loved it and asked me how I made it. The best thing is how simple it really is to make it.

Ingredients:
1.) Spring Roll skin (depending on how much you want to make, but two of this would be enough to start off)

2.) Icing sugar (also depending on how sweet you want it to be)
3.) Oil for deep frying


Method:
1.) Defrost the packet of spring roll skin if it is frozen.
2.) Take a piece of spring roll skin and cut it into half.
3.) Roll it up (as illustrated). If it doesn't stay rolled up, mix some corn starch with water, and apply it at the end of the roll. (acts like glue)
4.) Cut up the roll according to the size you want.

5.) Once you've finished rolling and cutting, heat up oil for deep frying, and fry the spring roll skins until they turn light brown. (it shouldn't take a long time)
6.) Take them up, and sprinkle icing sugar evenly (to taste).


And that's it!

I made this for Raya celebration this year (took me only an hour - and I was in a rush), and everybody loved it! They're even more surprised at how simple it is to make. :) Making this little snack can also be very fun. If you're bored of rolling the skins, try making other shapes! During Chinese New Year this year, my friends got bored and curious, and decided to make origami using the skins. This is how one turned out.

Cute eh? :D

Oh and you can roll it up with seaweed too if you like, as you can see in the picture, if you look carefully. :D

Go ahead and try it! It's addictive I swear! :D

4 comments: